This Course is a “Hands-On” Introduction to Typography using InDesign and Illustrator. You will learn how graphic designers utilize type to create printed pieces and will develop a basic understanding of typographic design, exploring how font type, positioning, size and color – along with other design elements – affect the communication of a layout. You will also learn how type is measured, aligned, punctuated and composed for a professional, articulate, and visually-compelling composition.
- Develop an understanding of the basic terminology of typography and the origins of typographical terms and concepts.
- Analyze a letterform, identifying its distinctive features.
- Develop a basic proficiency in identifying and classifying type by looking for the features in a typeface.
- Develop an understanding of the applications of display typography and theatrical or expressive applications of typography.
- Understand and use kerning, special characters, ligatures and other typographical details in a layout.
- Understand the use of typographical hierarchy and how to apply it in page design.
- Explore the use of typography as design element.
- Develop an understanding of how to combine typefaces effectively.
- Design with typography using emphasis.
- Learn to master InDesign’s type tools of font selection, kerning, leading, scaling and alignment for effective page layouts.
This Course is a “Hands-On” Introduction to Digital Imaging using Adobe Photoshop and various other digital imaging tools, including camera and scanner. You will learn how graphic designers utilize imaging techniques to create striking visuals, exploring how context, positioning, size and color – along with other design elements – affect the communication of an image. You will also learn how images are correctly measured, aligned, manipulated and composed for a professional, articulate, and visually-compelling composition.
- The Learner Will (TLW) demonstrate proficiency using the tools within Photoshop to complete specific tasks and exercises geared toward building a general fluency with digital imaging techniques.
- TLW demonstrate correct procedures for sizing, manipulating, and saving image file types.
- TLW manipulate existing photographic imagery using Photoshop.
- TLW create and manipulate original imagery using Photoshop and a blend of digital medias and tools.
- TLW engage in guided practice of techniques and demonstrate an ability to refine initial attempts to create original images.
- TLW create and present a portfolio of original digital images that demonstrate proficiency in the use of Photoshop as (a) a tool for image manipulation, (b) a tool for image creation, (c) a design tool, and (d) a tool for image compositing.